ontology of class and race? (was Alabama and Tibet (?))

Michael Eisenscher meisenscher at igc.apc.org
Sun Jul 26 22:01:19 PDT 1998

Jim,

Regrettably, I just got time to read this commentary. I think your point deserves serious attention, although I'm not entirely certain you may give it more weight than it deserves. But my purpose in writing is not to argue the fine points, but to express my objection to your use of the racial epithet at the end. It was gratuitous, insulting, and demeans an otherwise valuable contribution. I would have liked to share your comments with some colleagues but would not do so as it would offend them and make me complicitous in the insult. I hope you will think about what it means to others when you are tempted to include patently offensive racial epithets in your political speech. Please accept this as both comradely and constructive criticism, offered because I otherwise have great respect for your contributions to the list.

In solidarity, Michael E.