So-called

alec ramsdell a_ramsdell at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 31 08:24:47 PDT 1998

>Doyle
>Defenstrate Alec I thought meant something like pulling the guts out of
>a shrimp, but my dictionary (an old one) says throw it out the window.
>Is that what you meant, throw my tv out the window?

Defenestrate; jettison; catapult--curiously enough the etymologies of these words all converge at the latin verb "chuck". As far as aquatics go, I will never get straight the distinctions between flotsam, jetsam, and lagan.

Many are the occasions when I've been tempted to politely defenestrate this computer. But unlike the old Federal Reserve of SF building next door, at another law firm I temped at, the windows of this modern building don't open.

-Alec