So-called

James Baird jlbaird3 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 31 00:24:57 PDT 1998

>By equating instances of outright fabrication with serious attempts at
>investigative journalism, the media relegates these stories to the
>status of X-File scripts. Reporters learn that "the truth shall make
>you free" =96 free from getting up in the morning to go to work.=20

Call me a cockeyed optimist, but I see the recent flaps about Tailwind, Contra\Cocaine and Chiquita as positive developments. Take Tailwind: sure, the powers that be clamped down pretty hard to squelch the story. But not too many years ago, I don't think such a story would have seen the light of day in the first place. This may (underline and put in flashing red type that "may") portend that there are some young reporters out there who haven't been properly programmed about what constitutes "news". They won't get very far, of course: these two CNN reporters will never work for a mainstream publication again. But I sense it's getting harder and harder for the commissars to plug all the holes in the dike...

Jim Baird