Alf Landon's Speech on Social Security 1936 Presidential Campaign

Fri Jul 31 11:37:38 PDT 1998

I read Alf Landon's speech. I was struck by how leftwing and pro-worker his demogogy was, because of the economic depression. How about the ploy,'you're too smart to need the government to look after your old age' ? Basically Reagan sold that, didn't he ? 'You all are too smart to let the govmnt take care of you '

Charles Brown

>>> Tom Lehman <uswa12 at lorainccc.edu> 07/31 12:56 PM >>>
Dear Jordan,

I am sending you a copy of a speech by Republican Alf Landon in which he raises the same concerns as you have about social security---only back in the 1930's.

I requested a copy of the testimony from Cleveland Congressman Dennis Kuchnich's office. Kuchnich is not my congressman, but, he is on the committee that was asking the questions. I was told it would be sometime before the testimony would be transcribed and released. You can call your congressman's office and make a similar request it may speed things up.

Sincerely, Tom http://www.ssa.gov/history/alfspeech.html