Rorty reviewed

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Mon Jun 1 13:16:19 PDT 1998

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Brad De Long wrote:

> >The harsh response to Rorty may have something to do with his
> >penchant for gratuitous, con-baiting asides, such as the one in which he
> >absurdly states that "we caused the death of a million Vietnamese out of
> >sheer macho arrogance."
>
> But we did cause the death of a million Vietnamese out of sheer macho
> arrogance...

WAsn't it the defense of the free world against the Red Menace?

But seriously, I think we need a serious review and discussion of Rorty's book. Like it or not, my old professor, whom I always thought of a soft neocon, and who thought I was nuts (of course I was a lot more wild-eyed back then), is emertging in the public sphere as an important spokesperson for the "left." So what does "the left" say about this ally? Is he a Trojan Horse or a possible ally?

--jks