militias

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jun 2 09:34:16 PDT 1998

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>I'm not as sanguin about the militia folks as Wojtek, Justin, Alexander
>Cockburn, etc. appear to be, though.

None of us who've said a tolerant word about "the militias" endorses their worldview as it stands. The point that these folks, me among them, have made is that it's wrong to paint them as a bunch of Nazis; most people who say these things don't really know much about what the "militia" folks really think, or who they are. What do we really know about them, socially or ideologically? Instead of calling the FBI, "the left," whoever that is these days, should talk to them. They're deeply alienated and confused, and there are plenty of real fascists happy to take advantage of this. Demonizing them will make the Nazis work easier.

Doug