[Fwd: Re: militias]

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Tue Jun 2 17:13:30 PDT 1998

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Surely. And we also need to talk to those who say that they are against or
> 'ambivalent' about abortion even though they actually need it. They're
> deeply alienated and confused, and there are plenty of real demagogues
> happy to take advantage of this. Some men on lbo-talk, however, seem to
> want them to stay alienated and confused, instead of talking to them and
> leading them to realize the gap between their 'opinions' and real needs,
> while on the other hand the need to talk to militia guys seems to be
> accepted by almost all here, including me. This gap tells me something
> about gender politics.
>
> Yoshie

Oh Yoshie, that is so exactly right! I'd only add that often when people are talking about the ambivalence of others toward abortion, and the need to cater to it to achieve some other political goal, they themselves are ambivalent about abortion. I don't want to put words into anyone's mouth, or extrapolate too far on the basis of half-sentences, but Max, didn't you suggest you felt ambivalent about abortion yourself -- not abortion the political issue but abortion the medical procedure-- when you said you feared that "easier" abortion might have meant no daughter for you? -------------- next part -------------- An embedded message was scrubbed... From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> Subject: Re: militias Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 15:37:49 -0500 Size: 2688 URL: <../attachments/19980602/4f1d93d2/attachment.eml>