California Elections

Hank Sims sims at mail.cwia.com
Tue Jun 2 15:00:47 PDT 1998

The first results indicate that all the worst initiatives are passing: Prop 226 (the anti-union measure) has a slim lead; Prop 227 (anti-bilingual education) is a shoo-in.

Jerry Brown has crushed his competition for the mayorship of Oakland.

The one piece of good news is the total defeat of Al Checchi, latest in the line of nine-figure execs who have been trying to buy major political offices in California. All the pundits seem to be taking the line that Checchi's "going negative" has offended us Golden Staters' delicate sensibilities. I'm more sanguine-- I think that we've decided that anyone who spends $20 million+ on his own campaign is automatically denied. Our new open primary system would be a factor in this; as the Republican candidate for governor (the odious Dan Lundgren) is unopposed, many of our Republican brethren crossed over to give Checchi the boot.

Still no word on one key race, but I'm feeling pretty jazzed about it. Big upset coming up. Expect to see a victory speech from my choice for Insurance Commissioner, Peace and Freedom candidate Tom Condit, on lbo-talk ere the morn.

(It's only the primaries, after all.)

Hank Sims

Arcata, CA