California Elections

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jun 3 08:37:53 PDT 1998

Hank Sims wrote:

> The first results indicate that all the worst initiatives are
>passing: Prop 226 (the anti-union measure) has a slim lead; Prop 227
>(anti-bilingual education) is a shoo-in.

Well, we know now that this news on 226 was premature. A month ago it looked like a sure win, but the unions really flexed their muscle and stopped it, by a 53/47 margin. (There's an LA Times story at <http://latimes.com/HOME/NEWS/POLITICS/ELECT98/ap_prop226.htm>.) Imagine what the unions could do if they'd fought, say, welfare "reform" (on which they were essentially silent) or the IMF refunding (which they're for)!

Doug