Divide et impera (was: California elections & bilingual ed)

DENNIS_CLAXTON at fragomen.com DENNIS_CLAXTON at fragomen.com
Thu Jun 4 12:21:35 PDT 1998

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote;

>Call it conspiracy theory if you want,but it is simply beyond me why would
a billionaire >businessman want to throw millions to propmote an issue of little practical consequence --
>unless he has some ulterior motives - like the divide and rule strategy to
>divert public attention from economic issues.

Yesterday's LA times had a fairly long article about G. Soros's charitable giving in the U.S. and around the world. I think the article said it's 1.5 billion so far. Isn't this also a way to divert public attention from economic issues? I haven't seen it but a friend told me the current (or a recent) issue of the Economist had an article about the stinginess of the rich in the U.S. The Economist's take is that this could lead to real trouble.

On conspiracy theories I like what Gore Vidal said somewhere "There is no conspiracy, they all think alike."