Divide et impera (was: California elections & bilingual ed)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Jun 4 13:01:27 PDT 1998

At 12:21 PM 6/4/98 -0700, DENNIS_CLAXTON at fragomen.com wrote:

>Yesterday's LA times had a fairly long article about G. Soros's charitable
>giving in the U.S. and around the world. I think the article said it's 1.5
>billion so far. Isn't this also a way to divert public attention from
>economic issues?

To my knowledge, Soros gives mainly to Eastern Europe and other "feldging democracies" to causes li "citizenship" development of entrepreneurship" "civil society" etc. Eastern Europeans are more candid, they call it embourgeoisment. So inasmuch as Soros money is funding the development and entrenchment of the bourgeoisie in those countries, the answer to your question is: Soros's money is funding the bourgeois hegemony, perhaps not by diversion, but by 'philanthropy.'

In that, the new industrial aristocracy is not different from the old agrarian aristocracy. The old aristiocracy developed a system of alms giving and clientelism (the forerunner of modern 'philanthropy') on the one hand, and witch hunting and pogroms (the forerunner of modern culture wars) on the other. The former served to give a token 'contribution' to peasant well-being, the latter - to relieve social tension by scapegoating and diversion.

As you correctly observed, all aristocrats think alike, at least as far as their hegemony is concerned: anything goes, after us - deluge.

Regards

WS

I haven't seen it but a friend told me the current (or a