Divide et impera (was: California elections & bilingual ed)

Richard Marens parvus at u.washington.edu
Thu Jun 4 16:13:21 PDT 1998

> In that, the new industrial aristocracy is not different from the old
> agrarian aristocracy. The old aristiocracy developed a system of alms
> giving and clientelism (the forerunner of modern 'philanthropy') on the one
> hand, and witch hunting and pogroms (the forerunner of modern culture wars)
> on the other. The former served to give a token 'contribution' to peasant
> well-being, the latter - to relieve social tension by scapegoating and
> diversion.

And the Catholic Church played a big role in the "contribution" side of the equation. I suspect alot of Catholic Social Thought, which derives from the Thomistic notion that private property is fine as long as it is used for moral purpose, is in part based on nostalgia for this socio-economic role. Rerum Novarum, corporativism, the "human relations" school, Catholic unionism (which includes a good deal of American unionism) all contain an element of this attitude: that the upper class has responsibilities as well as rights, and the Church would be there to mediate and counsel both sides to end conflict.

A great deal of the cooperative movement has a strong dose of this neo-guildist attitude. Hell, Mondragon was founded by a Jesuit. The great theorist of labor-managed firms, Jaroslav Vanek, wear's his Catholicism on his sleeve.