DeLong and fire trucks to the rescue

Thu Jun 4 13:03:21 PDT 1998

>Whoa there Professor DeLong. The IMF is a fire truck! Maybe but they
>have gasoline in their hoses.
>
>They may show a particular way of getting out of financial difficulty --
>at least they may see it that way from their perspective -- but they act
>like a cop more than a fireman in prohibiting alternative methods of
>putting out the fire.

Yes. Had I been Suharto I would probably have defaulted back last November... said that you are not going to get any more blood from this stone, and that I am not going to do what the IMF thinks is necessary to generate a year-2000 export surplus.

The IMF wants to say that it is the country's own decision whether to accept the terms and conditions of an IMF program or not, but the problem is that it is usually the country's *leaders* decision--and they care much more about being welcomed in New York and Washington than in how far nutrition falls in the post-stabilization recession...

Brad DeLong