Spanish Language Labor History for Immigrant Workers

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jun 6 15:48:05 PDT 1998

Sender: H-Net Labor History Discussion List <H-LABOR at h-net.msu.edu> From: "Seth Wigderson, University of Maine-Augusta"

<SETHW at MAINE.MAINE.EDU> Subject: Spanish Language Labor History for Immigrant Workers

Michael Everett sends this important request. Can anyone help either with actual material or with a suggested contact? SW - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I work with a local of mostly immigrant hotel and restaurant workers. Most of these workers have limited education and english language skills. Many's the time I wished I'd had some spanish language material to give them about labor history and their important role in it.

We need illustrated materials written in simple language that can be cheaply reproduced. My dream would be a spanish-language labor history comic book targeted at workers and families. If it was done well, I assure you, it would be pass through the hands of many readers.

If anyone knows of labor history materials like this, I'd be grateful for details. Otherwise, perhaps someone on this list would consider the intriguing idea of distilling all of American labor history into one lurid, riveting comic book.

Michael Everett Santa Monica, CA ia728 at primenet.com