Spanish Language Labor History for Immigrant Workers

Michael Eisenscher meisenscher at igc.apc.org
Sat Jun 6 16:10:03 PDT 1998

Michael,

Some years ago (1983), the United Electrical Workers, which had distributed Labor's Untold Story by Herbert M. Morais and Richard O. Boyer (Marzani & Munsell: 1965, Second Edition), arranged to have it translated into Spanish and printed in Mexico. I have one copy. I have no idea how many more there may be floating around. You should contact the UE in LA (I believe the office is in Compton) and speak to David Johnson. If he does not know about it, tell him that the arrangements were handled by Humberto Camacho, UE International Rep, now retired. Alternatively, the UE national office in Pittsburgh, PA might have copies. The Spanish language edition was published by Sindicato Unico de Trabajadores de la Industria Nuclear (SUTIN), which was the Electrical & Nuclear Workers of Mexico. I am not sure they still exist under that name. The ISBN Number is 0-916180-01-8 for the English edition.

Additionally, the UE has many Spanish-speaking members. Its national newspaper, the UE News has a Spanish-language page in ever edition. They use lots of cartoons for organizing, many of which have Spanish captions, and may have other materials in Spanish.

Hope that helps you out.

In solidarity, Michael Eisenscher