Organized Labor and Bilingual Education: Any Cooperation?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jun 7 13:56:24 PDT 1998

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>Were there any coordinated efforts between those who were fighting Prop 226
>(re: the use of union dues for political activities) and those who were
>battling Prop 227 (re: bilingual education)?

The People's Weekly World had a piece that quoted some union guy as saying that fighting 227 was at the core of labor's new political strategy. Unfortunately, I've thrown away that issue, so I can't provide more details. PWW also tends towards the optimistic, so I don't know how much faith to put in this.

Doug