Joel Kovel on the Frankfurt School

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Tue Jun 9 09:43:11 PDT 1998

> >Did you see that report recently that claimed 12-tone was "invented"
> >in order to be used as a kind of steganographic cypher for getting
> >nuclear secrets to the Nazis?
[SNIP]
> realize Schoenberg (a Jew) was an unlikely candidate to invent a ciphering
> system with the Nazis, this would not have been an issue.

Years ago I read an article on anti-semitism in German universities in the 20s, and it contained a list of academics and other intellectuals of the "some of my best friends are jews" variety who suddenly didn't know those friends as Nazi power grew. I believe Schoenberg was among those Jews who suddenly lost some "close friends" for this reason.

Carrol