Joel Kovel on the Frankfurt School

Jon Fine jonfine at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 8 11:37:08 PDT 1998

Jordan wrote:

>> Twelve-tone works are quite listenable: ...
>
>Did you see that report recently that claimed 12-tone was "invented"
>in order to be used as a kind of steganographic cypher for getting
>nuclear secrets to the Nazis?

a prank, unsurprisingly, but the faux-AP report that went around the Internet was "authentic" looking enough to fool a few people on some music-related lists I'm on....then again, if they read closely enough to realize Schoenberg (a Jew) was an unlikely candidate to invent a ciphering system with the Nazis, this would not have been an issue.

jf