Nader

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Tue Jun 9 17:43:32 PDT 1998

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I'm listening to a speech by Ralph Nader. My god. He's going on about
> utility bills, utility bill stuffers from consumer groups, bounce check
> fees, $200 million in drinking water technology cut from some budget or
> other. Awful stuff. Does anyone get inspired by this? No wonder the tort
> lawyers love him.
>
> Doug

We had hims peak at OSU law last year. He was here testifying against the awful tort reform bill the legislature passed. I thought he was mesmerizing, just wonderful. And yes, he talkeda bout some of those things.

I am sorry to see you joining in the pack baying against tort lawyers, which means plaintiff's laywers. Of course the defense tort bar and the unsurance lawyers do not love Ralph. Sure, a lot of plaintiffs' tort lawyers are sleazy. But what they do is help injured people recover from harm done to them, often by large corporations. Yeah, if we had national health we wouldn't have this problem. But tort reform anad damages caops are no substitute for national health. Ralph is is on the side of the angels, a real American hero. He has probably done as much for as many Americans as any living human being.

--jks