Farewell to Kinky Sex? (was Re: what is the christian left?)

bautiste at uswest.net bautiste at uswest.net
Wed Jun 10 13:18:30 PDT 1998

Yoshie,

Your comments only show how clouded your mind is by ideology. If you knew a "real" Christian you might consider that many Christians are indeed making the kind of opposition to the patriarchal structures that you so rightly despise. Ever heard of Vatican II? Try looking up the V2 email list sometime. I think you'll find your preconceptions baseless and out of tune with reality.

> It's amazing that nobody on this purportedly 'left' e-list has yet to
> criticize organized religion on the ground that it has and still fosters
> sexual repression + subordination of women & sexual dissidents (including
> 'abortion ambivalence' but of course not limited to it).

I did. See my response to your other email on religion.

> I guess that liberation from sex/gender oppression is getting kicked off
> the agenda of the Left as many lbo-talkers conceive of it. (A fetish for
> immaculate conception?)

I think your fetish for ideology and muck-raking overwhelm your clarity with regard to the fetish for immaculate conceptions. Your ideological rantings are less than immaculate and less than original.

> In their minds, such a liberation is a 'merely
> cultural' affair and hence to be condemned or dismissed, even though sexual
> repression and subordination of women & sexual dissidents have quite
> _material effects_

Yoshie, this is such balderdash that you should be ashamed. It's obvious from your puerile rantings that you have no concept at all about the state of radical Christian movements. I'll give you the same advice I gave Carol, look up the V2 email list. Also see their web page at http://astro.temple.edu/~arcc/vatican2.htm They're not as politically engaged as I think others are, but their anti-patriarchal programme is more impressive than many other such efforts.

chuck miller