"Who to reach?" vs "What is our program?"

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Thu Jun 11 10:02:59 PDT 1998

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Max Sawicky wrote:

> Nader, as Bill L. implied, is more well-rounded than
> Doug makes out. To an issue pertaining to gays during
> his ill-conceived presidential campaign, he said something
> like, "I don't do gonadal politics." This was refreshing.
> He's also strange and an ascetic, which to me is more
> worrisome than if he was accumulating some stash of
> wealth. If so, he certainly isn't spending it on
> clothes.

Refreshing my ass. It was an obvious question to be asked as it was quite topical at the time. He was asked at the time that the DOMA was being signed by Prez. McMuffin and ENDA was going down in flames in the Congress. Is a person's right to work w/o discrimination really just more "gonadal" politics? Sounds like a privileged white guy talking.

> I think this program could be sold to those with
> socially conservative views, including religious
> people, I wish this is what more lefts would do, and
> in my own little way this is what I try to make
> happen. I do not think academic talk typified
> by POMO but not absent from marxoid discussions
> is helpful in this enterprise. Nor do I think
> challenging peoples' basic views on matters
> secondary to class, like gay marriage or
> late-term abortion, is a helpful prerequisite
> to building a class-based movement.

I don't think demeaning the rights and struggles of others is very effective either. Nader was downright snide and sneering in his dismissal. This was not the only issue he took this attitude towards.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of identify politics either, but ENDA was hardly just more "gonadal politics". People should have the right to work w/o their bedroom habits inspected.

> Employment
> rights are more useful than a marriage certificate,
> and a health clinic more valuable than a Mapplethorpe
> exhibit.

Right, but ENDA was just "gonadal politics"...

Joseph Noonan jfn1 at msc.com

When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why

the poor have no food, they call me a communist.

Archbishop Helder Camara