"Who to reach?" vs "What is our program?"

C. Petersen ottilie at u.washington.edu
Thu Jun 11 11:17:42 PDT 1998

> > Nader, as Bill L. implied, is more well-rounded than
> > Doug makes out. To an issue pertaining to gays during
> > his ill-conceived presidential campaign, he said something
> > like, "I don't do gonadal politics." This was refreshing.
> > He's also strange and an ascetic, which to me is more
> > worrisome than if he was accumulating some stash of
> > wealth. If so, he certainly isn't spending it on
> > clothes.
>
> Refreshing my ass. It was an obvious question to be asked as it was
> quite topical at the time. He was asked at the time that the DOMA was
> being signed by Prez. McMuffin and ENDA was going down in flames in
> the Congress. Is a person's right to work w/o discrimination really
> just more "gonadal" politics? Sounds like a privileged white guy
> talking.

I heard that that quote was taken sort of out of context, where he had been on a TV show being interviewed by a conservative who was trying to divert him from talking about his favorite subjects of corporations and consumer issues, and he just threw out that remark in order to return to the topic. I mean, I guess it's obvious that he has no policy plans for many areas. Whenever they asked him about schools he would just say 'uh, we should have more civics classes!' Which isn't surprising because that is his 'thing'. It would have been better to get a more well-rounded candidate who could stomach being a politician. Can you think of anyone who could fill this role? Noam Chomsky said he'd kill himself if elected president, and I'm not that happy with Jesse Jackson...