"Who to reach?" vs "What is our program?"

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Thu Jun 11 12:35:26 PDT 1998

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> At 01:48 PM 6/11/98 -0500, Joseph Noonan wrote:
> >Are yoy joking? You can be fired from any job for being queer at
> >anytime and you have no recourse under civil rights law.
>
> Isn't that wrongful termination that is illegal?

What is wrongful termination? Most employees work "at will" which means they can be fired or quit at any time without notice and without "cause". If you have no contract, you can be fired for basically any reason not covered under federal Civil Rights law or state employment law. I have a handbook of employee-employer law at home someplace that I bought a few years ago, I'll look in there and see what exactly I'm protected from by state law and report back. Here in Texas, as I recall, there are basically no worker's rights. I know that the only contract I have with my employer is the employee handbook which says I work at my employer's pleasure. Wrongful termination, AFAIK, just relates to whether or not you can collect unemployment benefits.

> Besides, are there any stats supporting that?

Supporting what? I don't understand how "stats" would provide evidence of what the law is or isn't -- I don't think I understand your question.

Joseph Noonan jfn1 at msc.com

When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why

the poor have no food, they call me a communist.

Archbishop Helder Camara