"Who to reach?" vs "What is our program?"

Mike Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Thu Jun 11 13:13:39 PDT 1998

Friends,

I think that you can be fired for being gay. Sexual orientation is not protected by the federal civil rights law. Nor any state laws that I am aware of. A few local statutes, I believe, prohibit. this. If you are a public employee, you may not be able to be discharged without due process. But even here, the S. Ct. does not yet allow 5th amendment (and 14th) protection for the ctegory "sexual preference." That is, it is possible for the government to categorize people according to sexual preference and give unequal protection (as in the military). Perhaps a lawyer on the list can give us more detail or point out any innacuracy in what I have said.

Michael Yates