Homo Economics in the Closet

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Sun Jun 14 05:59:48 PDT 1998

Yoshie writes:

> The main obstacle for rigorous and extensive empirical research about
> anything related to sexuality--not just about sexual orientation +
> employment discrimination--is that so much about it is in the closet.

Some years ago when some scholars at the U. of Chicago (if I recall correctly) put out a big work on sexual habits in the U.S., L. Lewontin gave it a positively destructive review in the NYRB, and his whole review amounted to a detailed and rigorous expansion of Yoshie's remark here. Perhaps someone else remembers titles, authors, and dates better than I do.

Carrol