Brown Makes His Move

C. Petersen ottilie at u.washington.edu
Sun Jun 14 09:44:12 PDT 1998

I know a guy who works on housing in SF, and in his opinionm Jerry Brown is the anti-christ. he believes in new urbanism, where the city strives to 'repopulate' the city center after years of downward economic spiral, but... isn't the city center already populated? The idea is to just move a different set of people in, and ignore the people who used to live in the building replaced by an upscale condo - perhaps pay them relocation costs to another city (that's what Seattle does). But on the other hand, just by virtue of his progressive stands on many social issues, I think Brown is better than both candidates in most races around the rest of the country. You would never find a Jerry Brown running in Spokane or Houston or Huntsville.

I guess it's like, I (and many others) know very well that the republicans = bad cop, and democrats = good cop, in a psychological ploy where they support almost identical ends. But I still keep voting for democrats because there's no one else running, and perhaps some very small percentage of the time the democrat will have some integrity.