Dreamers of a 'left Democratic Party' (was The most dangerous sect...)

Dhlazare at aol.com Dhlazare at aol.com
Tue Jun 16 11:19:52 PDT 1998

I would argue that merchant capital was dominant from 1788-89 until Jefferson's "Revolution of 1800," when the preponderance of power passed to the Southern, esp. Virginia, planter class. But you're quite correct in arguing that 1860-61 represent a revolution against the plantocracy. Indeed, I'd go the Beards one step further and argue that it was not the second American revolution but the first, 1776 being a half revolutionary, half- reactionary prelude akin to the French "aristocratic revolution" of 1787-89.

Dan Lazare. <<

Michael Hoover wrote

>successive presidents from the same state (i.e., Jefferson, Madison,

and

>then, Monroe)...

>in effect, the report aired Federalist grievances against the so-called

>'Virginia Dynasty'...other areas of the country saw the Federalists

pressing

>sectional claims amd the party never recovered from this perception...

I follow the school of thought that the slaveocracy was the ruling class

from this time until the Civil War ;and that the slaveowners'

competitors were, of course, the Northern manufacturing/merchantile

bourgeoisie. The Southern control of the Presidency and dominance of the

federal government is the main evidence of this.

>in 1816, the national economy turned down and in 1819, there was a

>major crash...in 1820 southern slave states appeared ready to fight

>northern states over the question of expanding their chattel system

>westward even as Monroe was running unopposed for reelection to the

>presidency...so underneath the 'Era of Good Feelings' were simmering

issues

>that would dominate the political nation's agenda for the next 40

years...

By the above theory, the Civil War was a revolution because it changed

the fundamental property relations or relations of production, by

abolishing one of the main forms of it, slavery. The war was started as

a counterrevolutionary attack by the ruling class of the previous 40 or

so years that was doomed by the Republican's and Lincoln's election on a

platform of no expansion , though no abolition of slavery. Slavery's

economic dynamic required more and more territory, so containment was

equivalent to abolition.

Charles Brown

by relay26.mx.aol.com (8.8.5/8.8.5/AOL-4.0.0)

with ESMTP id NAA04581;

Tue, 16 Jun 1998 13:59:44 -0400 (EDT)

by dont.panix.com (8.8.8/8.8.8/PanixLC1.4) id NAA07627

for lbo-talk-outgoing; Tue, 16 Jun 1998 13:52:30 -0400 (EDT)

by dont.panix.com (8.8.8/8.8.8/PanixLC1.4) with SMTP id NAA07618

for <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>; Tue, 16 Jun 1998 13:52:26 -0400 (EDT)

Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:45:13 PDT