Constitutional Longevity. Was Religiosity...

charles brown cdehbrown at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 16 13:52:03 PDT 1998

Dan Lazare wrote:

>I still don't see how you can have fascism within the context of a
bourgeois-
>liberal republic.

Well, I am being a little creative with the concept, but did Black people have the full panoply of bourgeois democratic rights, civil liberties ? Did they have the full protection of the Bill of Rights ? When a huge fraction of the population are systematically denied these do you just say, oh , but this is a liberal republic, so , this is not fascism ?

Was South Africa with apartheid a liberal republic because it had a constitution and elections ? or was it a mixed republic and anti-republic ?