Brown Makes His Move

Tom Condit tomcondit at igc.apc.org
Tue Jun 16 14:05:57 PDT 1998

One problem is that while Brown says he is a "recovering politician", he hasn't recovered from offering us the "lower expectations" he offered as governor. (I believe he is the actual, original author of the use of that phrase in U.S. politics.)

Brown, remember, was the guy who set the Gann initiative (permanently limiting growth in state expenditures in Califronia) up with a special election of its very own to ensure that it could pass in a forum where Democrat candidates wouldn't have to take a stand on it. He has also said that he can cure all of Oakland's problems without any new taxes by "unleashing our creative and entrepreneurial spirit." Yeah, sure.