Teachers, Child Molesters, + Fingerprinting (was Who is disabled)

hoov hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Wed Jun 17 18:38:55 PDT 1998

> I still haven't gotten an answer as to when the law was passed to require
> the fingerprinting of teachers. I presume that this law is relatively new
> (passed in the 80s or the 90s); or was the law passed much earlier?
> Isn't the law an effect of the recent waves of moral panics about sex
> offenders, especially sex crimes that concern minors? Or had the law been
> on the book even before it?
> Yoshie

I'm not aware of a federal law on above...and I'm not sure how many states have passed such laws, although I wouldn't be surprised if all 50 have done so...most laws that I'm aware of were passed in the 90s...and they vary, for example, in Florida and Georgia, fingerprinting is done for employment but not for teacher certification...Alaska & Nebraska, on the other hand, are among states that require prints for certification...agree that such laws are part of moral panic, just the kind of thing with which most politicians like to have their names associated...

while not legislated as such, Florida parents are encouraged to have their children fingerprinted at school...Michael Hoover