Teachers, Child Molesters, + Fingerprinting (was Who is disabled)

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Sun Jun 21 20:44:47 PDT 1998

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, hoov wrote:

> > I still haven't gotten an answer as to when the law was passed to require
> > the fingerprinting of teachers. I presume that this law is relatively new
>
> I'm not aware of a federal law on above...and I'm not sure how many states
> have passed such laws, although I wouldn't be surprised if all 50 have done
> so...most laws that I'm aware of were passed in the 90s...and they vary, for

I haven't researched it, but I would be astonished if there was such a federal law. Public school education is the central case of a matter left to the states to administer. I am not sure unbder what power Congress might pass such a law. Formerly one would have said the Commerce Clause, but this is the post-Lopez era. It might not be constitutional if they did pass it.

--jks