Flexible Work & Parenting (Was Re: Gender, Race, and Publishing on the Left)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Jun 18 09:10:24 PDT 1998

At 08:21 PM 6/17/98 -0400, Michael Hoover wrote:

>flexible work exists primarily for 'new middle class'/professional-
>managerial strata/salariat jobs, correct?...which puts some of these
>folks in the 'vanguard' of shared parenting...of course, evidence
>indicates that couples professing a commitment to such mantain
>conventional divisions of labor that produce unequal & uneven
>responsibilities...seems that no matter how cosmopolitan or how
>'sensitive & understanding' the male, the burden of childcare rests
>firmly with women ..Michael Hoover

Yeah, but that is an effect of how labor is organized in our society, and not the law of nature. Women tend care of the children mainly because it is the male who has a gerater chance of earning a 'family wage.' I bet anyone a beer that if men earned, on average 60% or so of what women make, househusband would be the norm, not an exception.

Regards,

Wojtek