Flexible Work & Parenting (Was Re: Gender, Race, and Publishing on the Left)

Nurev at Kreative.net Nurev at Kreative.net
Thu Jun 18 05:53:09 PDT 1998

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> At 08:21 PM 6/17/98 -0400, Michael Hoover wrote:
seems that no matter how cosmopolitan or how
> >'sensitive & understanding' the male, the burden of childcare rests
> >firmly with women ..Michael Hoover
>
> Yeah, but that is an effect of how labor is organized in our society, and
> not the law of nature. Women tend care of the children mainly because it
> is the male who has a gerater chance of earning a 'family wage.' I bet
> anyone a beer that if men earned, on average 60% or so of what women make,
> househusband would be the norm, not an exception.
> Regards,
> Wojtek

I guess in the intellectual's universe biology is merely theoretical. Instinct is not a factor where ideology dictates that egalitarian ideals are on equal footing with, or even more desirable than mother / infant bonding.

As long as we reproduce in some natural manner, females will be the primary care givers to offspring. That is not to say that this situation can't be modified for social reasons, but this system apparently works well for anthropoids no matter how male / female wages compare.

Joshua2