Asia and hormones

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jun 21 08:40:29 PDT 1998

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>BTW, if I were you, I would ban the use of the terms 'identity politics'
>and 'postmodernism.' The terms allow folks to say stupid things without
>furthering discussion in any way.

This is true, though a ban might be overly strict. I meant to comment on this item from Max Sawicky the other day:

>Some time ago I asked
>the list if anybody could cite any examples of POMO/ID
>political activity above the level of micro-groups.

which treated "pomo" and "ID" (identity, I assume, and not the Freudian home of the primal drives) as if they were synonymous. But our friends who started this thread, Brown & Butler, are no friends of identity.

But, these quibbles aside, recall this tidbit from Eric Alterman's Nation article the other week:

> "But here's the twist. [Reformist Social-Democratic
> Leftist Nelson] Lichtenstein is part of a perfectly
> Rortyite reformist Campaign for a Living Wage at
> the University of Virginia. This campaign is not
> about ending sexism, racism, or homophobia, but
> about getting janitorial staff a few extra bucks
> an hour. Who are its volunteers? Primarily, says
> Lichtenstein, faculty and graduate students from
> the pomo literature and theory crowd.

I'll bet there aren't too many folks from the econ or poli sci departments either.

Doug