Asia and hormones

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sun Jun 21 12:30:19 PDT 1998

> I meant to comment on
> this item from Max Sawicky the other day:
>
> >Some time ago I asked
> >the list if anybody could cite any examples of POMO/ID
> >political activity above the level of micro-groups.
>
> which treated "pomo" and "ID" (identity, I assume, and not the Freudian
> home of the primal drives) as if they were synonymous. But our friends who
> started this thread, Brown & Butler, are no friends of identity.
>
> But, these quibbles aside, recall this tidbit from Eric Alterman's Nation
> article the other week:
>
> > "But here's the twist. [Reformist Social-Democratic
> > Leftist Nelson] Lichtenstein is part of a perfectly
> > Rortyite reformist Campaign for a Living Wage at
> > the University of Virginia. This campaign is not
> > about ending sexism, racism, or homophobia, but
> > about getting janitorial staff a few extra bucks
> > an hour. Who are its volunteers? Primarily, says
> > Lichtenstein, faculty and graduate students from
> > the pomo literature and theory crowd.
>
> I'll bet there aren't too many folks from the econ or poli sci departments
> either.

This item seems to underline my point perfectly. Their intellectual pastimes notwithstanding, the POMOs & IDs are drawn to meat-and-potatoes activism because their academic speculations lead to no politics they can call their own.

The only problem is that the presence of these folks may repel others. Might need some Willie Nelson tunes to set the proper tone.

MBS