against 'entrenched identities'

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jun 23 01:40:15 PDT 1998

In my conception of communism, there won't be any such things as whiteness, maleness, heterosexuality, etc., nor will there be 'identities' that have been subordinated to the above, _after_ the successful abolition of capitalism, racism, sexism, heterosexism, etc., for there won't be any social relations and ideology that would give rise to either.

'Identities' are social facts that have been historically constituted by structures of oppression, and as long as oppressive social relations and ideologies remain in place, there will be 'identities,' whether we like it or not. Abolishing 'identities' requires abolishing the structures that have created _both_ dominant and subordinated 'identities.' Arguing against 'identity politics' without recognizing this fact is similar to the use of the rhetoric of 'color-blindness' by conservatives who hate affirmative action.

Yoshie