Report from Z Media Institute 98 (fwd)

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Tue Jun 23 17:35:55 PDT 1998

I have read both of the books carefully and I think Folbre's criticism is dead on. Actually it's worse than that, because instead of meeting face to face, A&H envisage everyone as typing in their shopping lists into computers, which data are then made into a sort of local community plan request after debate; the process is repeated at the regional and national levels, where several plans are evolved and finally voted on after more discussion. This means that the input is certain tobe inaccurate, since each person will both exaggerate her own needs at each level and also misestimate them (can _you_ shop accurately a week in advance?). And the outcome will give virtually nobody what they want. These problems are in addition to the time spent in front of a terminal guessing and lying about what one might want and engaging in strategic behavior to maximize one's own, and one's community's, preference vis-a-vis others. Then there are the publicity problems about announcing one's preferences and having to justify them to the world.

--jks