against entrenched identity

Nurev at Kreative.net Nurev at Kreative.net
Tue Jun 23 05:11:11 PDT 1998

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> In my conception of communism, there won't be any such things as whiteness,
> maleness, heterosexuality, etc., nor will there be 'identities' that have
> been subordinated to the above, _after_ the successful abolition of
> capitalism, racism, sexism, heterosexism, etc., for there won't be any
> social relations and ideology that would give rise to either.

And on which planet Yoshie, will this communism take root and grow? Certainly not Earth.

> Justin Schwartz wrote:
Contrary to what you say, I have never met, in real life, anyone on the left who believes that the struggles of women, Blacks, gays, etc. are seconday, mere diversions from the main class struggle, things that can be put off until "after the revolution." I don't even believe anyone on this list believes anything of the sort.

I do. But not as things to be put off after the revolution, because these struggles are in lieu of revolution. They prevent revolution. Even, if in one's wildest dreams one thinks that a Marxist revolution could possibly happen in the belly of the beast (the USA, as opposed to Europe for example), " class struggle " does not have the immediacy that identifying as one of the above groups does. As a matter of fact, as a backlash against globalization, the tendency appears to be that people are retrenching in tribalism, religious sectarianism, and racism. This trend will probably gather steam as the world's economies are driven into the toilet by Wall Street and London and China.

IMHO, stopping Corporate Capitalism is vastly more important than Black, Gay, Women's, or other real or ideological "struggles" at this point in time because we will all achieve freedom and equality after the biosphere can no longer sustain us.

Just a thought, Joshua2