Libertarian communists?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jun 24 10:39:33 PDT 1998

Jim Farmelant wrote:
>As far as I know Chris Sciabbara is a plain old libertarian (that is a
>believer
>in laissez-faire capitalism) rather than a libertarian communist. That
>is
>not to deny that Chris is distinguished by the fact that he has a strong
>interest in and deep knowledge of Marxism that is rare among libertarians
>and Chris has long been a proponent of dialog between Marxists and
>libertarians. To that end he even served for a time as a moderator of
>thaxis.

I still have no idea what a libertarian communist is. I know what libertarianism is, it's the sort of thing that the Cato Institute promotes. And then, as far as communism is concerned, that's what Che Guevara stood for. And Lenin and Rosa Luxemburg. I never heard people like that describe themselves as libertarians. Is this some new trend that I have to keep up with? Come on, Rakesh, why don't you clue us in.

Louis Proyect