Libertarian communists?

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Jun 24 08:53:53 PDT 1998

As far as I know Chris Sciabbara is a plain old libertarian (that is a believer in laissez-faire capitalism) rather than a libertarian communist. That is not to deny that Chris is distinguished by the fact that he has a strong interest in and deep knowledge of Marxism that is rare among libertarians and Chris has long been a proponent of dialog between Marxists and libertarians. To that end he even served for a time as a moderator of thaxis.

As Lou pointed out Chris did his doctorate under Marxist scholar, Betrell Ollman. Chris' books on Ayn Rand and F.A. Hayek have attempted to show that these thinkers had unappreciated dialectical dimensions not unlike those characteristic of Marxism. IMO Chris' case is less credible in the case of Ayn Rand but more so in the case of Hayek who proposed a theory of social evolution.

Jim Farmelant

_____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]