Heat and Light on Race. Was: Black Rad. C

Michael Eisenscher meisenscher at igc.apc.org
Wed Jun 24 19:03:17 PDT 1998

Thank you, Jamie.

Speaking to an African American union leader who returned from the BRC, I was told there were about 2000 in attendance (organizers expected something more like 500-750), of whom perhaps 25 were white, a few were Asian, and a few were Latino. These are his ball park estimates, not a systematic evaluation of registrations. The organizers (a diverse group) did not seek white participation or encourage it but no white person, Asian, or Latino who sought admission was turned away. I think you have clearly explained the objective of the BRC organizers, as well as how presumptuous (dare I say arrogant and patronizing) it is for white "intellectuals" to condemn the desire of Black activists to work through their own differences without having to simultaneously address the interventions of non-Blacks (whether well-meaning or not).

I have not heard it said, but would those who decried (while erroneously describing nonexistent) exclusionism make the same argument to women when they sought to meet without men present, as a means and prelude to more effectively addressing sexism in society, but also in the Left, which had been so rampant and which created such an obstacle course as well as outright barriers to their exercise of leadership and full participation in every aspect of the movement?

To describe any gathering of Black radicals as an expression of nationalism and an impediment to class unity is not just wrong. It is insulting, pretentious, patronizing, and condescendingly arrogant and presumptuous. All one has to do is to consider the innumerable occasions on which the white Left has met to ponder theory or strategy on any number of fronts with little more than a token nod (if that) toward the participation of non-whites without a hint of self-consciousness to realize why those who put together the BRC would have little interest in encouraging white radicals to attend. The best guarantee of Black/White unity which is widely agreed to be essential for working class victories is for whites to challenge other whites in their expression or demonstration of continuing racism, bigotry, discrimination, bias, insensitivity, and the myriad other manifestations which constitute the real barriers to unity. Reactionary nationalism is the other side of the coin of rampant racism. What we need to create a better foundation for unity is fewer words and more deeds -- or may I say, praxis.

In solidarity, Michael E.