Thesis XII and the First

charles brown cdehbrown at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 25 12:29:02 PDT 1998

Comrades and friends,

In the First Thesis on Feuerbach, Marx distinguishes his materialism from all previous materialisms, including Feuerbach's, by activating the subject in an objective reality, a real world, unlike the idealist subject which is not really active. Marx's materialist subject is and active, not passive like those of contemplative, objectivist or vulgar materialisms. This revolutionary subject is a practical-critical activist.

This practical-critical subject is key to the changing of the world of the eleventh thesis,for only subjects are active, objects are passive. The eleventh thesis , as Matt said, does not say stop interpreting the world and change it. It implies continue interpreting the world and change the world based on that interpreting. The critical thinking ,or questioning and answering, of the First Thesis is essential to the interpreting of the Eleventh.

In the same vein, Lenin said without revolutionary theory (critique, interpretation and contemplation), there can be no revolutionary movement or action, activity , practice. Marxist ethics is practice,or what is to be done, conduct, acts; in unity with theory.

Marxism unites epistemology and ethics in this way: practice is the ultimate test of theory, defining practice as experimentation and industry after Engels (see _Materialism and Empirio-Criticism_ by Lenin). The test of whether we know a thing (the thing-in-itself) is whether we can make it.

Marx was a politicaleconomist, not just an economist contemplating the macroeconomy like an astronomer the stars with no thought of intervening in its clocklike movement, predicting its objective movement without intending to intervene by influencing the mass subject. This metaphor of the economist drifted into Economism (trade unionism pure and simple,leave politics to the bourgeoisie and petty bourgeoisie, an old "left" conservatism) that Lenin argued against in What is to be done ? Economics and politics , political economy,both are what is to be done. "Labor" issues are not the sole top priority of activity for radicals, according to Marx,Engels and Lenin.

Thus when they gave first prominence to the slogan "workers and all oppressed peoples of the world, unite ", they placed the national and other social questions as THE central class questions. The main thing to be done by the working class is not to focus only on labor union pure and simple, day-to-day , shop floor, "economist" issues solely, but that and the obstacles to world,regional, natinonal and local working class unity, which are mainly racism, patriarchy, and national chauvinism.

So, for example, Marx said, "Labor in white skin can never be free,while labor in the Black skin is branded" , meaning the number one labor/"economic" question is sort of an "identity" question from the terminology of this list. There is no "pure and simple" labor question independent or prior to the main dominating/dominated identities within the working class that thwart its fighting potency. These are the first questions for labor before its final conflict with capital.

Charles Brown