GM strike

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Jun 26 11:34:04 PDT 1998

> Yes, but that just won't cut it. GM is the laggard among the Big
> Three (can
> we still say that now that Daimler is about to own Chrysler?), and Wall
> Street is deeply unhappy with it. In other words, instead of $26b, it
> should probably be $52b. On top of that, if you can find equally
> productive
> workers in Mexico who are paid in a week what some U.S. and Canadian
> workers earn in an hour or two - well, you don't need an MBA to
> figure that
> one out. Sustaining those $44/hr jobs would require taking on capitalism
> itself, and I don't see the UAW about to do that.

When the strike ends in a month or so, because the company has to settle by then in order to able to prepare to offer new models for the coming year, and when the company goes on and Capitalism goes on, will any prophets of doom here have a good explanation for how this all proved to be possible, given that the company and the economy supposedly can't possibly sustain these wages?

And will you predict another unresolvable conflict the next time around, and base your politics now and then or this sort of analysis?

Broken clocks must be right twice a day, but incorrect calendars can be wrong forever.

Wondering,

MBS