GM strike

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jun 26 12:26:23 PDT 1998

Max Sawicky wrote:

>When the strike ends in a month or so, because
>the company has to settle by then in order to
>able to prepare to offer new models for the
>coming year, and when the company goes on and
>Capitalism goes on, will any prophets of doom
>here have a good explanation for how this all
>proved to be possible, given that the company
>and the economy supposedly can't possibly sustain
>these wages?
>
>And will you predict another unresolvable conflict
>the next time around, and base your politics now
>and then or this sort of analysis?
>
>Broken clocks must be right twice a day, but incorrect
>calendars can be wrong forever.

I'm not a crisis-monger. In fact, I probably tend too much in the other direction.

The unsustainability is this: if U.S. labor costs $44/hr (or $30 even, to please Nathan), and Mexican labor costs $1/hr (or even $3/hr), at the very least, GM will run down its plants in the U.S. until they're worn out and hire no new U.S. workers. The UAW can strike to slow down the process, but unless they're willing to challenge managerial and stockholder power, they're not going to stop, much less reverse, it.

Doug