'universalism' (was Re: Asia and hormones)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jun 26 23:35:46 PDT 1998

Mat Forstater writes:
>There was a lot of talk on the list with regard to the BRC
>employing the term "universalist." (By the way, the Albert or Hahnel piece
>that said first there was class and then Black liberation came along in
>the mid-sixties obliterates 500+ years of African liberation struggles.

I very much agree with Mat Forstater, both on the misleading use of the term 'universalism' and historical amnesia that allows many to say, 'Once was class unity, and then blacks, women, sexual dissidents, etc. came to fragment it.'

Universality that may be one day achieved, after the disappearance of capitalism, sexism, racism, etc. and struggles to achieve universality are the _opposite_ of the rhetoric of 'universalism' that falsely passes the narrow, short-term, and sectarian interests (and sometimes even mere prejudices) of white males at the imperial center as 'universal.' And the former cannot be achieved as long as the latter prevails.

The equation of what white guys think and do with 'universalism' is currently prevalent--regrettably even on the Left (such as it is)--because many still believe that white guys ought to be at the center of the Universe.

When left cons say 'universal,' we ought to read 'particular.'

Yoshie