BRC debate

Jim heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 29 07:23:58 PDT 1998

In message <3.0.1.32.19980629095216.0112cf4c at popserver.panix.com>, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> writes
>Rakesh has a tendency to blow up.

Oh come on. You'll be saying that he has a chip on his shoulder next.

As if you haven't got a tendency to blow up. As if Carrol's posting was not rude and abusive.

And then this other-worldly contribution:
>The sort of politics that Rakesh is espousing is rooted in the Marxist
>backlash against black nationalism which began in the 1960s. The Spartacist
>League, the Progressive Labor Party, the CPUSA at a certain point
This is what is known in the industry as a smear. Has Rakesh been a member of any of these organisations? (Or for that matter, would it matter if he had?).

The facts of the matter are that you and Carrol in particular were provoked because you wanted to patronise people of colour, and Rakesh preferred not to be patronised. Scratch the liberal veneer of the guilty white liberal and the underlying prejudice is revealed: Rakesh was singled out for abuse because he was not white.

(I remember a similar episode when Louis P turned on Lou Godena with vitriol because Lou, of native American ancestry, preferred not to whole-heartedly endorse Louis P's fulsome embrace of native American land rights. Angered by this ingratitude Louis barraged Lou with all kinds of angry invective.) -- Jim heartfield