BRC debate

Jamie Owen Daniel jdaniel at uic.edu
Mon Jun 29 07:43:37 PDT 1998

Folks,

Louis's posting on what Rakesh's "going ballistic" may have meant is, it seems to me, symptomatic of a pernicious problem on this and other left lists--some people want to be right far more than they want to really take part in a conversation. Much as I disagreed with much of what Rakesh wrote, there's no good excuse for dissing him is his absence, or for "tattling" on what he or anyone else may have said or done on other lists. Jim H. is right to lament the loss of a voice that helped many of us (me, for one) figure out the problems in a certain not uncommon perspective.

So, can we perhaps agree not to tattle on each other in future debates? All this backbiting eats up the time we could be spending on the real issues at stake.

There--I'll step out of the correction mode now....

Jamie