What 1960s black nationalists believed

Jim heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 29 12:01:52 PDT 1998

In message <3.0.1.32.19980629111007.012b0728 at popserver.panix.com>, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> writes
>More and more we see black people in this country being used as a tool of
>the white liberal establishment.

>Too long have we allowed white people to interpret the importance and
>meaning of the cultural aspects of our society. We have allowed them to
>tell us what was good about our Afro-American music, art, and literature.

Of which one must say that never a truer word was said

But as for this:

>we view in reality 180 million racists. The radical who is fighting to bring about change is
>conscious of this fact, but does not have the courage to admit this. When
>he admits this reality, then he must also admit his involvement because he
>is a part of the collective white America. It is only to the extent that he
>recognizes this that he will be able to change this reality.

This is just guilt-tripping rubbish. If all white people are intrinsicaly racist then any progressive project is doomed from the outset.

It is a shame that just when a number of young and working class people were distancing themselves from the outlook of the US establishment and the fictitious community of American nationalism, here is the SNCC insisting that, no on the contrary, all white people have a common interest in racial oppression.

This is the classic difference between moralism and Marxism. The SNCC statement is a moral critique of racism, which appeals to guilty white liberals, to recognise their culpability, and hang their heads in shame. But it does not appeal to the working class to break from the ruling racial ideology on the basis of their material interests.

It is an appeal addressed not to class interest but to middle class guilt. -- Jim heartfield