UAW & women

Berger, Jordan jberger at opseu.org
Tue Jun 30 10:30:50 PDT 1998

You can also buy "Final Offer" from the National Film Board of Canada. They have an office in New York, follow this link for further ordering information (http://www.nfb.ca/E/4/comm.html).

A more recent documentary dealing with the CAW -- "The Negotiator" -- provides a fascinating insight into contract negotiations between a CAW local and De Havilland in Toronto. The latter documentary features the current CAW President, Buzz Hargrove. I don't know who produced this latter piece. If I recall correctly, women had considerably more of a role in the later round of negotiations than those featured in "Final Offer."

One memorable scene from "Final Offer" had a group of top CAW men sitting around in a room as the phone rang incessentantly. Rather than reach out to pick it up, they kept yelling "phone, phone" until a female assistant came in to answer it for them. Nevertheless, I think the CAW, like other Canadian unions, has changed quite dramatically over the last decade and a half.

In solidarity,

Jordan Berger