Kosovo Roma oppressed by Albanians?

Aaron aaron at burn.ucsd.edu
Tue Jun 30 05:06:27 PDT 1998

Here's a story about Kosovo that gives an entirely different perspective from the ones most of us have been exposed to. It came to me via imap, the mailing list for the <misc.activism.progressive> newsgroup. [For information about this mailing list, send a message to <lists at webmap.missouri.edu> with the single word 'help' in the body.]

I tried checking the URL <http://www.romnews.com> for verification and more info, but the site is being reconstructed and is effectively shut down tilll July 1. I also sent a request for more info to <Romnews at compuserve.com>. In particular, I don't know which border Roma refugees were crossing and in which direction. (Are they refugees from Kosovo or from Albania?) If I get additional info, I'll share it with these lists.

- In solidarity,

- Aaron

P.S. I corrected a couple of obvious errors in the original.

--------------- Begin Forwarded Message: --------------- Return-Path: <owner-imap at chumbly.math.missouri.edu> Date: Sat, 20 Jun 98 19:16:04 CDT From: Romnews at compuserve.com Subject: RNN / Roma families killed by Albanians Article: 37307

Roma families killed by Albanians

Tirana/ ALBANIA ( RNN Correspondent ), Hamburg/ GERMANY ( RNN Agency ) June the 18th 1998

According to the reports of some correspondents from Macedonia, Yugoslavia, and Albania, the encroachments of the Albanian army against Roma refugees have remarkably increased.

As Nezded Mustava, town mayor of the Macedonian town Sutorel said, the Albanian army stopped many Roma families from crossing the border or even shot them while crossing the border. During the last census in Kosovo, which showed that 60 % of the population are Albanians, Roma were put under pressure from Albanians, before and during the election to pass themselves off as Albanians and not as Roma.

As to the information of the Roma National Congress there live 600.000 Roma in Kosovo, that are almost 20 % of the total population.

Romnews is published by the Roma National Congress on a non-commercial basis European Central Office: Simon-von-Utrecht-Str. 85 D-20359 Hamburg, Germany Emergency Telephone Hotline: ++49 - 171 - 89 31 831 Emergency Telefax Hotline: ++49 - 171 - 89 10 702 Fax: ++49 - 40 - 31 04 75 Tel: ++49 - 40 - 319 42 49 CompuServe: 100322,1740 Internet: Romnews at compuserve.com http://www.romnews.com Items published in Romnews are copyright of the RNC. Please acknowledge Romnews/RNC when quoting. --------------- End of Forwarded Message ---------------